Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fontana, where the gangstas at?

Birthplace of the Hell's Angels.

In contrast to the neighbor to the west (Rancho Cucamonga) Fontana has a reputation for such things as: white trash (Nascar), drugs, Mexicans (not unique to SoCal), and crime.

Not too long ago I was driving in Fontana when I was regretfully forced to think the worst of the people in this city.

I approached a red light and sat patiently in my car, windows down, with the dreamy tunes of Jason Mraz coming from the radio. Suddenly, I was nearly deafened by the loud hip hop of the low rider that pulled up next to me. No big deal, I like me some hip hop, just don't appreciate the unexpected loudness.

The two men in the car next to me are dancing in their seats to the music, and I can tell they are looking at me. I get it, I'm hot stuff, I'd look at me too. The loud music and guys staring, that is in no way unique or noteworthy. The thing about this scene that makes it noteworthy is what they are drinking.

Both men, driver and passenger, are swinging cans of beer as they bounce to the music.

Puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeze! Could you possibly be any dumber? Drinking while you drive, and at 1 in the afternoon, seriously that is a new level I didn't even know existed in the Inland Empire.

I'm willing to embrace a partial bad-reputation for our area because I realize that's kind of what makes us, but let's all agree that alcohol is best served outside a vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment